Am I a good candidate for breast augmentation surgery in Singapore? What are the various factors in determining that?
Many factors determine whether someone is a good candidate for breast augmentation surgery. The results attained are highly dependent on the individual as well as the skill of the doctor.
The final size of the breasts is decided by several factors, including:
- Desired final size
- The overall frame of the body
- Laxity of your skin
- The present size of your breast, shape, and symmetry.
What types of breast implants are available?
Briefly, two types of breast implants are available.
Silicone breast implants
These are popular and preferred types of breast implants in Singapore. This is because they can give a definite size and shape increase, consisting of an outer silicone shell filled with a cohesive gel. These implants are available in round or anatomical shapes.
Saline breast implants
These implants comprise an outer silicone shell filled with saline.
To determine the best implants for you, have a proper consultation with your doctor before committing to any one type of breast implant.
Round Breast Implants
Round implants give the breasts a “fuller” shape. But can look unnatural in certain circumstances.
Teardrop Breast Implants
Designed to mimic the natural contours of a woman’s body and gives a more natural look compared to the round implants. However, they are slightly more difficult for the surgeon to work with.
The implants can be inserted via 3 main ways:
- Under the muscle: The incision is made under the breast, within the folds. This is the most used technique as scars are not very visible, causes minor damage to the milk glands and other breast muscles, and is a relatively straightforward procedure for the surgeon to perform.
- Above the muscle/Through the nipple: This method is typically not used for breast implants as there is a high chance of damaging the milk glands. However, some patients claim to feel less pain post-surgery for this method.
- Through the armpit: This method is the most difficult for the surgeon as the incision point is the furthest from the breast. On the other hand, the scar is relatively well hidden under the armpit and may not be associated with breast surgery even if noticed. Also, most surgeons will only choose round implants for this method due to the difficulty of the procedure.
Learn more about MENTOR® Breast Implants
MENTOR® believes women deserve the peace of mind and dedication that comes with a highly comprehensive warranty.
MENTOR® MemoryGel® Breast Implants
MENTOR® MemoryGel® Breast Implants contains cohesive gel to create a delicate and natural feel.
MENTOR® Saline Breast Implants
MENTOR® Saline Breast Implants are made with sterile saltwater solution to fabricate a firmer feel compared to gel implants.
MENTOR® Breast Tissue Expanders
MENTOR® CPXTM4 Breast Tissue Expander will fabricate a more natural looking breast due to its design of expanding primarily in the lower portion of the breast.
MENTOR® CPGTM Gel Breast Implants
MENTOR® CPGTM Breast Implant is tear‐drop shaped breast implant.
The experience of getting breast augmentation at The Clifford Surgery
First, a thorough and detailed consultation with the plastic surgeon is essential. Your relevant medical history, existing conditions, state of health, and expected cost are all factors that your doctor will discuss in-depth with you. Your goals and desires will be explored regarding breast volume and shape. Pictures will be taken, and a 3D assessment and simulation of the possible post-operative results of the form and volume of the breast are then made using the software. Please note that the simulation results only guide the post-surgery results, which may differ slightly from the actual results.
- The entire breast augmentation process takes between 50 to 90 minutes.
- You will be administered with general anaesthesia, which will make you unconscious.
- Our doctor will then make an incision, and the appropriate pocket is then dissected to accommodate the breast implants.
- The implants will then be inserted carefully into the pocket via a minimal touch or non-touch technique to minimise contamination.
- The wound is then closed with absorbable sutures.
- A waterproof dressing will be placed over the wound. This is to protect the wound and keep it clean to minimise infection.
You’re just one appointment
away from beauty
Contact us for a consultation today
This surgery aims to enhance the volume and shape of the breasts. It is also highly dependent on the existing dimensions of your breasts. The possible volume and shape attainable will be discussed with you.
The two most common breast implants shapes include the round and teardrop shapes. The appropriate implant shape will depend on your goals, body habitus and existing breast shape.
Breast augmentation and implants are suitable for anyone who wish to enhance their breasts as long as you are in good general health. However, if you fall into any of these categories, breast implants may not be recommended.
- You are pregnant or experiencing signs of pregnancy
- You have recently given birth or have had an abortion
- You are currently breastfeeding
Also, please inform the doctor/surgeon if you have previously used breast fillers or undergone any form of breast enhancement treatments/surgeries, as these may cause complications depending on individual conditions.
Local or general anaesthesia will be administered, so any pain and discomfort will be minimal during the surgery. Mild to moderate bruising and soreness should be expected for several days post-surgery while the wounds heal and the body adjusts. The doctor will usually prescribe medication to ease these effects.
You are expected to rest for 2 or more days post-surgery as recommended by your doctor to reduce complications. After which, light activities can resume even though there might be some discomfort.
Some patients report that they feel out of breath for the few first days after the surgery. This is not any cause for worry as your body is simply recalibrating to the added weight of the implants. After a few days, your breathing will stabilise and go back to normal.
Before the surgery, please inform the doctor of the following:
- Your medical history
- Any drug allergies, especially to any anaesthesia
- If you are on any medication, especially aspirin or other anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Your smoking habits. If you are a smoker, please refrain from starting 2 weeks before the surgery.
- If you are currently pregnant, have recently given birth, had an abortion or is currently breastfeeding.
After any invasive surgery, aftercare is always essential. Patients need to follow these guidelines after receiving breast augmentation, including
- Avoiding sudden or violent movement with your arms
- Keeping the surgical wound clean
- Not to irritate or touch the wound
- Follow any prescribed post-operative medication regimen
- Stay home from work for a span of time per the doctor’s orders
Breast implants are not designed to last for an entire lifetime. The implants should be exchanged after 10 – 15 years to avoid any problems from implant fatigue. It is typically recommended that you return for a yearly follow-up examination to ensure that the breast implants will not cause any unforeseen health implications.
If you are not satisfied with the overall outcome of your breast implants, it is vital to communicate this with your doctor. Various things can be done to correct the shape of your breasts post-operation.
I do not wish to use breast implants. Are there any other ways that can improve the appearance of my breasts?
You can consider using breast fat grafting, which involves grafting fat from other parts of your body to increase the volume of your breasts
Advances in medicine and modern techniques have significantly reduced the odds of developing these complications. Still, both surgeon and patient must communicate and keep these risks in mind.
There are no issues with getting pregnant if you have breast implants. Breast implants also do not prohibit breastfeeding, as studies have shown that silicone levels in breast milk are low and at safe levels for the child.
The cost of breast augmentation will largely depend on the type of breast implants you decide to opt for. Typically, silicone breast implants tend to be more expensive than saline breast implants. As a reference, the average cost of breast augmentation surgery in Singapore starts from $10,000 – this includes surgeon’s fees, the cost of anaesthesia, and more.