Abdominoplasty usually referred to as Tummy Tuck, is a plastic surgery procedure that removes excess skin and tightens abdominal muscles to reshape the abdomen. Abdominoplasty surgery in Singapore is typically performed on patients with excessive or lax skin and muscle in the abdominal area, usually after significant weight loss or post-pregnancy. Tummy tuck works exceptionally well when performed together with liposuction, as the 2 have synergistic effects.
What is abdominoplasty for?
A bulging belly is an undesirable feature for many, men and women alike. In some cases, this bulge is not caused by fatty tissue but rather loose, weakened abdominal muscle and skin. This weakness is usually a result of overly stretched muscles either from pregnancy, obesity, or other possible reasons. Following childbirth or excessive weight loss, the pulled muscles may not return to their normal state as they have been stretched or weakened. This excess muscle and skin will sag and cause a visible bulge, usually at the lower abdomen. The rectus abdominis (the “six-packs” muscle group) is most prone to this, primarily due to poor muscle tone. The white tissue connecting the left and right rectus abdominis groups, known as the fascia, is highly susceptible. The weakening and stretching of these tissue results in a gap, also known as rectus diastasis.
Abdominoplasty can be performed in these cases to surgically tighten the loose connective tissue and muscle groups while excising excess skin. This process flattens and recontours the abdomen and effectively removes the appearance of any bulge.
Benefits of undergoing abdominoplasty surgery in Singapore
- Improved appearance: Tummy tuck surgery can remove extra skin and fat, tighten sagging or loose skin, and restore abdominal muscle tone. All of these help give the abdomen a smoother and more toned appearance. This can help to boost overall body contour and improve the appearance of the abdomen region.
- Enhanced self-esteem: Many patients who undergo abdominoplasty surgery in Singapore say that their confidence and self-esteem have significantly improved after the procedure. Individuals generally feel more confident and are more likely to feel comfortable in their own skin by having their abdominal appearance restored.
- Improved posture: Singapore tummy tuck surgery can also assist in repairing weak or divided abdominal muscles, which can reduce lower back pain and improve one’s posture.
- Improved health: Health concerns associated with loose or sagging skin in the abdominal area can be addressed with Singapore abdominoplasty surgery, especially for individuals who have undergone significant weight loss or have had several pregnancies. The procedure can even assist to lower the risk of skin
infections and other health issues by removing extra skin.
- Long-lasting results: Patients who maintain a healthy lifestyle and avoid considerable weight gain typically enjoy long-lasting results from a tummy tuck. While the skin might lose elasticity with time due to natural ageing, the results of abdominoplasty surgery generally last for at least a couple of years following the initial treatment.
Abdominoplasty Surgery Procedure in Singapore
Abdominoplasty can be performed under local or general anaesthesia. Typically, an incision is made just above the pelvic line to lift the skin flap off the abdominal wall. The surgeon then re-approximates the rectus abdominis muscle groups and the fascia gap as necessary. After this, the surgeon will pull the skin flap over the tightened abdomen, and any excess skin is carefully trimmed away before closing the incision. Some fluid drainage tubes may be inserted at this stage to prevent complications caused by fluid accumulation.
There are 2 different types of abdominoplasty, depending on the extent of the operation – a full tummy tuck or a mini tummy tuck in Singapore.
Full Tummy Tuck
The procedure is considered a full tummy tuck when the entire abdominal wall is involved. The surgeon will first make 2 incisions, one above the pelvic line and one around the navel. After the necessary operations, a third incision is made at the new location of the navel before excess skin is trimmed and the incisions are closed.
Mini Tummy Tuck
In the case of a mini tummy tuck in Singapore, only the lower abdomen is operated on. The surgeon makes a similar but smaller incision to expose the lower abdomen along the pelvic line. As the navel is not moved during a mini tummy tuck, the second and third incisions are not required. Muscles and tissues are similarly tightened before the skin flap is pulled over to cover them. By eliminating extra fat, tightening sagging skin, and restoring the abdominal muscles, a Singapore mini tummy tuck can assist to improve the appearance of the lower abdominal region. A full consultation with a certified plastic surgeon is recommended to decide whether a mini tummy tuck in Singapore is appropriate for you. It is vital to note that a mini tummy tuck may not be the ideal choice for all patients, so it is best to discuss your goals and expectations with your surgeon prior to the procedure.
Tummy tuck procedures usually take around 4 hours to complete. However, patients may be required to stay for a few more hours for monitoring before being discharged.
However, the odds of developing these complications can be minimized by consulting a skilled and experienced plastic surgeon for your abdominoplasty. At the Clifford Surgery Clinic, our doctors and surgeons have over 10 years of experience and will do their best to ensure a safe and successful surgery.
FAQs On Tummy Tuck
Abdominoplasty has immediate effects that are visible right after surgery. However, the best results will typically show after several weeks or months after wounds have healed and swelling has subsided.
Scarring from abdominoplasty is inevitable due to the location of the operation. However, the scars are usually at inconspicuous locations and can be easily concealed by undergarments or regular clothing.
If you have previous operations in the abdominal region, such as a C-section, it is possible to make incisions at the exact locations to reduce scarring. Please inform the surgeon should you intend to do so.
Abdominoplasty is not a surgery to remove stretch marks contrary to certain beliefs. However, if your stretch marks are found on the excess skin to be trimmed off after the procedure, they can indeed be removed with this excess skin.
Abdominoplasty can produce permanent results as long as patients do not experience severe weight fluctuations after the surgery, including obesity and pregnancy. These can stretch the muscles and skin in the area again, reversing any results. Repeat abdominoplasties are not recommended in most cases due to increased risks of complications. Hence abdominoplasty is not recommended for women who plan to bear children in the future.
Depending on their recovery, patients are expected to take around 10 days or more of outpatient medical leave after abdominoplasty. Most sedentary and light activities can resume after that. Patients whose work involves more strenuous activities (such as long hours of standing) will be required to take at least 14 days of medical leave. You will be required to wear an abdominal binder post-surgery.
- Patients should maintain a stable body weight prior to the surgery.
- Keep yourselves adequately hydrated starting at least a week before.
- Smokers should stop smoking and tobacco consumption about 4 to 6 weeks prior to the surgery.
- Inform the surgeon of any past medical history, drug allergies, medication you are currently on and any health supplements you are currently consuming. You may be required to stop certain blood thinners temporarily to reduce the risk of complications.
Your body may lose significant amounts of fluid during and after the surgery. Do drink plenty of water to replace the fluids and prevent dehydration.
Rest well at home for about 10 days. Also, refrain from strenuous activities for at least 6 weeks post-surgery
You may be asked to wear a compression garment for several weeks. This garment helps reduce swelling and bruising and sculpt the abdomen into a more desirable shape, facilitating recovery. This corset should be worn at all times and only removed during shower or to clean occasionally.
Abdominoplasty is suitable for everyone who wishes to remove a stubborn bulging tummy due to lax muscles, is within 30% of their desirable body weight, and generally has good health.
You should not undergo abdominoplasty if you are:
- Pregnant or breastfeeding mothers
- Looking for drastic weight loss from obesity
- Additionally, abdominoplasty will not help individuals whose excess body weight/bulging belly is caused by intra-abdominal fat rather than weak muscles.
It depends on the position and extent of loose muscle and skin on your abdomen. The surgeon will examine your body and recommend the most suitable procedure for you during the consultation session.
For a majority of patients, the abdomen may not appear fully flat after an abdominoplasty surgery in Singapore. While it is reasonable to anticipate some improvement in the appearance of an abdominal bulge, it is important to keep in mind that tummy tuck surgery works to tighten weakened abdominal muscles. This means that excess visceral fat that lies behind these muscles may not be removed with tummy tuck surgery.
Abdominoplasty and tummy tuck surgery are two different names for the same procedure. This procedure is particularly popular amongst individuals who have overly stretched or weakened abdominal muscles as a result of pregnancy or obesity, as it surgically tightens loose connective tissues and muscles, and removes excess skin.
The only notable difference between the two is that abdominoplasty is the medical term, while tummy tuck is the informal or more commonly known name of the procedure.
Abdominoplasty is one of the most popular cosmetic surgery procedures in Singapore. The average cost of getting a tummy tuck is between $10,000 and $30,000, depending on the type of tummy tuck performed – whether it is a full or mini tummy tuck.
The procedure typically takes around four hours to complete, depending on the extent of the surgery and whether any additional procedures are being performed.
Abdominoplasty is not a weight loss surgery, and it is not a substitute for diet and exercise. The surgery is designed to remove excess skin and fat in the abdominal area, providing a flatter and firmer appearance.
Yes, men can undergo abdominoplasty surgery to improve the appearance of their abdomen. The procedure is not gender-specific and can be performed on both men and women.